When you think of bourbon chicken, you probably think of heavy, unhealthy takeout. Well, our Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken recipe is made without any added sugar and only a pinch of salt for naturally delicious flavor. We’ve mixed together delicious sources of clean sugar like apple juice, molasses, and bourbon. All these natural ingredients melt together and the chicken soaks it right up, so you have a dish you can enjoy guilt-free!
Put this on top of brown rice and you’ll impress your whole family with this tender and succulent chicken. Once you taste this homemade, nutrient-packed dish, you won’t order takeout again!
Yields: 5 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 380 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 172mg | Sodium: 745mg | Carbohydrates: 17g | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 14g | Protein: 32g | SmartPoints: 8
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup sugar free apple juice
- 3 tablespoons molasses or honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup (good quality) Bourbon
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, garnish
Place chicken breasts into slow cooker. Whisk together all the remaining ingredients in a bowl then pour over chicken. Cook on low 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours. When cooking is complete, remove chicken and shred it. Return chicken to slow cooker and cook on low for another 15 minutes.
If desired, serve over brown rice with green onions on top.
Adapted from Spend with Pennies.
Other recipes you might like:
What did you like about this recipe? Did you tweak it at all? Let us know in the comments section below!