Since turkey starts to taste the same during the holidays, we came up with something new! Our Curried Turkey Casserole puts a unique, but delicious spin on the humble holiday dish. This hearty casserole uses both brown and wild rice as the base. Plenty of veggies and apples provide flavor and add nutrients, while turkey and hazelnuts pack in the protein. Plus, curry powder adds an exciting, satisfying flavor. Just combine ingredients into this super simple casserole, and half an hour later, you’re ready to feast!
This turkey casserole is a perfect way to use those leftovers. It can even be prepared ahead of time and frozen for later reheating!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 237 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 230mg | Carbohydrates: 19g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 15g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 medium green apple, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups boneless skinless turkey breast, shredded (leftovers work great!)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, ground fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, pepper, carrot, celery, apple, and salt. Cook until onions are translucent. Add both types of rice, turkey, curry, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes until most of the broth is evaporated. Pour into prepared casserole dish. Combine remaining olive oil, ground hazelnuts, and parsley. Top casserole with mix
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until hazelnuts begin to brown and remaining broth has absorbed into rice. Remove from oven and allow to set for 3 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite thing to do with Thanksgiving leftovers? Share your ideas with us in the comments section!